Monday, April 13, 2015

But Do I Get a Break?!

Saturday my husband gave me time alone! I spent the majority of the day in a town about an hour away with more shopping opportunities than in our little town can offer. I had a great time with my little sister (below) getting the rest, relaxation and fun without the responsibility of four little ones! It was wonderful! I enjoyed every minute of it!

Here's my question, why can't a mom just have a break? Why do we as mothers somehow, by fate receive pay back for our "selfish" decisions? After I got home the evening grew progressively worse. Before I went to bed baby Milo had a very nasty diaper...twice. After I fell asleep my oldest son came in our room saying he wet the bed, he did not wet the bed... After I was woken up once again, by a dirty baby boy I could no longer sleep for several hours. I stayed up until my oldest son, this time, made it to the toilet and relieved himself of this disgusting virus that sneaked into our home. It was a long night. The very next morning Bella had this sickness too. Sickness in a family household is always bad but when you have multiple children the torture seems to never end! My refreshing relaxation has already diminished greatly.

As thankful as I am for the refreshing day I had,  I wish the evening could have ended in a great way. But this almost always happens to me, as if the kids were punishing me for not being home. But I know it's not their fault. They are my babies and none of them would ever trade a great spirit and fun for, what seems like, endless sickness.
This experience has been good for me to take a step back. Take a step back and see the big picture; each of my children were in pain, frustrated and tired. It's not about me, the mommy. It's about others and in this case my very own children. I will have you know that each of my children experienced at least a "touch" of the nasties in these two short days. No I do not like cleaning that mess up but even more I hate being sick. I understand that for an energetic and fun loving child, who has no idea what's going on with their little body is far worse than if I were sick. I'm praying for my babies and that this virus leaves our family alone and I can once again see gorgeous smiles on each of my little loves faces. Motherhood is not about us, the moms, it is about or children. Without our children we would not have the great pleasure of being a mom. I believe that being a mom is one of the greatest things I could be. My children make me the woman I am today. True motherhood is a calling to a servanthood like no other. Serving, loving and raising our children should always be our number one desire and not the desire of what we can do for ourself. I'm proud to be a mom not of what I have accomplished but of my children who are daily teaching me, helping me and loving me. In the future I hope to take the time to think of my children first in these difficult and frustrating situations. To answer my title question no moms, we don't get a break not a real one, not right now. In the not so distant future our children will be grown and on their own and not needing nearly as much of our help. Sometimes our life just needs a little perspective to remember what's really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment