Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Monday - Cleaning Day

As a mommy with four children  I need help, a lot of help. Daily we, as I like to call it, "straighten up the house" but on Mondays it is down right clean the house day. About a year ago I cleaned the entire house myself, cleaning up after four children and two adults is hard work. It seems as though on some days I cleaned one surface multiple times. On one of these Mondays I was vacuuming the floor for the second time that day and it was like a lightbulb appeared over my head, I could have these kids help me clean! I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to realize.

Eli is an excellent helper and the girls are both...okay helpers but I like to think of it as instilling a work ethic into my children even if they are only learning to clean instead of actually cleaning. Each Monday we each have our jobs, Eli cleans his room, makes up his bad, takes out both bathroom trashes and vacuums. Bella cleans her room, makes her bed and vacuums her room. Lily cleans her room and makes her bed. (Do you see the trend?) Milo is a lazy bum who does nothing but make more messes! ;-)


 The kids help the cleaning and make my job a little easier. Now they know that on Monday we don't do anything fun until our jobs are done and the house is clean! I occasionally hear, " Mom, do I have to clean?" and "But I don't want to-oo-oo!" but I tell them the same thing I tell them every week, "We have to clean the house then we can have fun. If you have bad attitudes we will not play on the Leappad or watch TV. This works every time and before you know it the house is clean. On a typical day, by lunch time the house is clean. Truly I would't be able to do it without them! Not only does it teach them a work ethic but it helps them to be a part of something bigger. My children are contributing to our household and our family. They are doing their part taking care of their own mess and helping with the family mess. Eli being 5 is excellent at his jobs but the girls are just learning. Would it be easier to do it myself? I don't think so they truly do help make my job just a little easier! 

No comments:

Post a Comment