Monday, April 20, 2015

Four Kids and a Wedding

This weekend our family went to my husband's step sister's wedding. We traveled two and a half hours away and we stayed the night at a hotel. I tried to have a plan and to be prepare for anything. I have now learned that perhaps there is no way to be prepare for everything that comes our way.

The kids did really well the majority of the time. In the car they played their Leappads and were well behaved with no major incidents. Once we got to the hotel we all got dressed for the wedding and immediately went to the wedding. The wedding was beautiful! It was vintage with lovely soft colors, I should have taken pictures. The kids were well behaved during the ceremony as well. Baby Milo got a little chatty but nothing too embarrassing.

Following the ceremony was the reception. There was a little time between the ceremony and reception. This was where I could have made a better decision. We went to the reception and the kids played outside for a while. After the fact I think we should have stayed outside longer or went somewhere else until the reception started. Instead we went to the reception early.

The kids just wanted to run around the reception, which was not an option. We let them play on the dance floor for a little bit but the wedding cake was front and center and that made me and Brian extremely nervous! I had a bag with quiet toys for each of them to play with and they did pretty well playing at the table except Milo! Milo was determined to get down and run. I speak for myself and my husband when I say more than anything that happened this weekend this particular thing drove us insane! Holding a toddler down and in place is nearly impossible. In the middle of the baby holding craziness Bella dropped her drink all over herself, the bags and her own seat. It was frustrating to say the least. Now looking back on it we could have spent our time more wisely or even if I just brought a stroller to wheel Milo around the room in. But I did not think of everything as I thought I had at the beginning of this trip.

What made me feel worse is that I felt like everyone was watching us and that most people found us a nuisance. This reception was an adult only reception excluding family which is why we were there. Perhaps others thought we were breaking the rules and shouldn't have been there. I'm not sure that anyone actually felt cheated or irritated but that's how I felt that they must feel that way. Why do we as moms feel this way? That our kids being a little difficult means that the entire room is dissatisfied and critiquing our parental methods? The real question is why should we even care? There is only one person whose opinion we should care about and for me that is God. Not anyone else. The truth is that everyone has experienced hard times with their children; ours at this moment happened to be in a large group setting. I try to find something to learn in each situation and here is what I learned this time, #1.I hope to think ahead and be better prepared next time. #2 As I go through this world seeing parents having a difficult time I want to encourage them and help them in any way that I can.

My sister in law and mother in law were great help to us on this trip. I appreciate all they did. Truthfully as stressed out as it was to take four children to a wedding I know that the Bride and Groom appreciated it as well as the parents of the Bride. We enjoyed getting out of town and spending time with my sister in-law, daughter and boyfriend which made it all worth it. Would I do things a little differently next time? Yes, I would but we had a good time and the kids behaved well.

2 comments:

  1. They were VERY well behaved, but I understand your stress. I don't think anyone was overly irritated by the dozen or so kids that were there, but if they were, then it's on them for being judgmental! :-) I felt bad that it didn't occur to me to suggest that you all go to the hotel or somewhere until closer to the time dinner was to be served (our tables were reserved, after all!), so lesson learned for me, too. I'm glad you were able to get at least some enjoyment out of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We had a good time, kids always make things interesting... :-)

    ReplyDelete