Thursday, April 16, 2015

"I'm Sorry"


Yesterday was a good day, things were going well here in the Boltz household. I was patient, happy and in control the entire day...that is until the afternoon. Following nap time the spell of peace and calm was broken and it only took a few short minutes. All four children were talking at the same time. Milo was fussy since he just woke up from his nap and was yelling in his high chair. Lily was speaking to me about something and Eli was asking me a question. I was in the process of transitioning the children to playing with play dough. During this loud craziness I started to get frazzled. Bella runs in with one of Lily's dresses, "Lily isn't your dress beautiful?!" Instantly all of the patience that I had for the day was gone. Bella did nothing but make more noise and it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I lost it and started yelling at her. I am not proud of this embarrassing moment of ridiculous outrage and impatience. I stormed out of the room and into my own room to calm down. I obviously was not okay believing that all the patience that I had was gone. Before I realized it I allowed that impatience to get the better of me. After calming down in my room I knew what I must do, one of the most humbling things, I feel, any parent must do apologize to my own child. I approached my daughter and other children saying,"I'm sorry, mommy shouldn't have yelled at you, you did nothing wrong."

In this situation I am reminded that apologizing to my children is extremely important. It shows them that mom is sometimes wrong too. It also shows my children that it's okay to say I'm sorry especially when it is genuine. Regardless of the reasoning, my behavior was unnecessary and faulty.

I and my husband are my children's first and most prominent example. Before they learn from anyone else they learn from us. At their young age all that really matters in their life is what mommy and daddy show and expect from them. Any parent understands that just because we tell our children something doesn't mean they will understand or learn. They are not always listening but they are continuously watching. Children are very intelligent, I think that sometimes they want to see how much you believe in what you are telling them. Is the behavior you expect from them what you truly want for yourself and others? I want to be what I expect from my children, in morals and behavior I don't want to have a double standard. Even if it means saying, I'm sorry.

1 comment:

  1. It is so humbling and important for us, as parents, to be able to apologize to our children when we're wrong. XO

    ReplyDelete