Monday, May 9, 2016

Mother's Day Expectations

Image result for present mothers day
Every year, for Mother's Day we as women may have high expectations, of our spouse, children, family and perhaps friends. We expect all our dreams to come true and just maybe our husbands heard that one thing we really wanted opposed to those other things we told him that we kind of wanted. After expectations most always comes disappointment.

Image result for quote expectations
My husband and I decided this past year that Christmas was all about the kids. We would rather buy for them than for ourselves on this holiday. Now I'm not gonna lie, this Christmas amazon.com was having an incredible sale on their Kindle Fires and we decided to purchase one for each other. With this general idea I decided for my birthday and mother's day to buy my own gift. I knew this would eliminate the expectations and I could get what I knew I really wanted. This may take some of the fun out of the gift giving and my husband and children are always welcome to give gifts but this decision keeps the feelings of disappointment and inadequacy from our home. In my younger years I expected everything from my husband in every way until I saw the light and decided to do things a little differently.

My Mother's Day gift, the blue Pandora bead on my mommy bracelet.
Why should I expect my husband to do something unlike him? He is not telepathic.  Brian is the man that I married in every way and his core self will not change, that's just who he is. I am doing my very best not to expect my husband to do anything out of the ordinary. In those special moments when he does the unexpected it is a surprise and that is so much better than false hope and expectations. If I want something done I do myself  unless I am really incapable or need actual help. I can paint, hammer, drill, measure, to name a few and I'm okay with that. My husband does so much more for me in the every day being the man that he truly is. Sorry ladies, but it's the truth there's not much to complain about. He is amazing in the areas of church attendance, disciplining and loving our children, loving me and being faithful, giving and generally unselfish, being a calm steady guy. I'm very blessed! Because of the blessing that God has given me in my husband I find it silly to put expectations on him. I am still a woman and I struggle sometimes with not having expectations but I'm learning and becoming better.

Our Mother's Day was fabulous! Saturday night we had a special dinner for my mother in law with my husband's side of the family. Sunday we had a dinner at my house with my side of the family and my mother in law. My mom usually prepares dinner on Sunday afternoons for the family but especially on Mother's Day I relieve her of her duties and make lunch. We had a wonderful time and guess what I did not expect? My husband did the dishes and cleared the table! I was delightfully surprised and his thoughtful gesture made my day even better!






No comments:

Post a Comment